PROTECTING FORESTS THROUGH FABRIC
Loomstate recognizes that we can be at the forefront of the latest design trends while simultaneously developing solutions for the environment around us. With this policy we are committed to exploring and supporting the use & development of fabrics that safeguard the world's ancient and endangered forests.
CONSERVATION OF ANCIENT AND ENDANGERED FORESTS AND ECOSYSTEMS
Loomstate supports a future that does not use ancient & endangered forests to make cellulose-based textiles, including but not limited to rayon, viscose, lyocell and modal. With an increase in the use of forest-derived materials in fabrics, Loomstate is committed to using reasonable efforts to influence our fabric supply chain in order to protect remaining ancient and endangered forests and endangered species habitats.
To do this, Loomstate
• Never sources fabrics made of dissolving pulp from ancient and endangered forests areas such as the Canadian and Russian Boreal Forests; Coastal Temperate Rainforests; tropical forests and peatlands of Indonesia, the Amazon and West Africa, and endangered species habitats, and any natural forests.
• Never sources fabric made from dissolving pulp from companies that are logging forests illegally, from tree plantations established after 1994 through the conversion or simplification of natural forests; or from areas being logged in contravention of indigenous peoples' rights.
• Supports collaborative and visionary system solutions, with Canopy, that protect remaining ancient and endangered forests in the Coastal Temperate Rainforests of Vancouver Island and Great Bear Rainforest, Canada's Boreal Forests, and Indonesia's Rainforests.
• Gives preference to suppliers that show commitment toward the conservation of endangered forests and species habitat.
• Engages with our suppliers to change practices and/or re-evaluate our relationship with them if we find that our fibers come from ancient and endangered forests, endangered species habitat, or illegal logging.
SHIFT TO MORE ENVIRONMENTALLY AND SOCIALLY BENEFICIAL FABRICS
Loomstate will collaborate with Canopy and other innovative companies and suppliers to encourage the development of fiber sources that reduce environmental and social impacts, such as agricultural residuess or recycled fabrics.
FOREST CERTIFICATION FOR FABRICS
Loomstate will request that all fabric sourced from forests are from responsibly managed forests, certified to the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification system, and where FSC certified plantations are part of the solution.
REDUCE GREENHOUSE GAS FOOTPRINT
Recognizing the importance of forests as carbon storehouses, Loomstate will support initiatives that advance forest conservation to reduce the loss of high carbon value forests by encouraging vendors and suppliers to avoid harvest in these areas, and by giving preference to those that use effective strategies to actively reduce their greenhouse gas footprint.
PROMOTE INDUSTRY LEADERSHIP
Loomstate recognizes the benefit of creating environmental awareness among its customers, employees and peers. As such, we will work to highlight our environmental efforts on our website and in public communications. As implementation progresses, Loomstate will work with suppliers, Canopy, non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders in supporting the protection of endangered and ancient forests and focusing on solutions to reduce demand on forests.